Security Systems Engineer
£34,000 - £37,000
Our client are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants, and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. The Resilience, Security & Risk (RS&R) Practice focuses on building resilience into the design and operation of the built environment. Their work covers the assessment of both accidental and malicious risk; the design of buildings, infrastructure, and other areas of the built environment; and the development of operational security procedures.
They are looking to recruit a Security Systems Engineer to support the delivery of electronic and physical security consultancy and design services.
The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation in Electrical or Security System Engineering within the built environment, and a willingness and enthusiasm to build on this and develop skills within the Electronic and Physical Security space.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Supporting the delivery of medium to large scale projects as part of a multi-disciplinary design team consisting of other engineering disciplines associated with the built environment.
- Delivery of small projects up to the value £50,000, supported by the wider RS&R team.
- Supervision and the technical development of more junior staff within the RS&R Practice.
- Production of design deliverables including reports and drawings within agreed deadlines and budgetary constraints.
- Supporting the RS&R Leadership team with business development, including developing fee proposals based on level of effort estimates; meeting with project teams and clients to develop opportunities; and presenting at external conferences and networking events.
- Be a “self-starter”, able to work with a high-level of independence.
- Be committed to delivering quality outcomes for clients.
- Be committed to risk-based security and tenacious in pursuing that approach to project design.
- Take a holistic approach to identifying solutions for clients; you will not default to security-only solutions for security problems.
- Understand how Operational, Electronic and Physical Security are linked, and the implications of this on design.
- Understand how national legislation and standards are applied.
- Be committed to growing the business and therefore be a proactive networker, willing to engage with clients to develop opportunities.
- Be willing to travel regionally and internationally as required by projects.
- You will report immediately to a Senior Engineer in the RS&R Team. In addition, further support with technical and skills development will be provided by the wider Arup RS&R Practice.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience delivering Electrical Engineering projects in the built environment across a range (but not all) of sectors
- Experience of working on Data Centre design and the security systems appropriate to its classification.
- Experience of working collaboratively in multi-disciplinary design teams within the built environment.
- Experience working directly with clients to understand their requirements and ensure these are being met during project delivery.
- Experience presenting to clients, considering both formal presentations such as at project completion and informal presentations such as design review workshops.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Product Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience in the design of Electronic Security Systems, such as access control, VSS / CCTV system Experience working in or directly with security agencies such as the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI).
- Experience with Protective Intelligence, such as producing or interpreting Threat, Vulnerability and Risk Assessments.
- Experience using specialist security design software such as JVSG “ip-video-system-design-tool”.
- Experience of working in the 3D environment and using applications such as REVIT and other associated platforms
- Knowledge of the current threat and risk environment within the UK and beyond.
- Experience delivering security design to the requirements of Secured By Design and Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design guidance documents.
- Minimum be able to achieve SC clearance on projects and complete BPSS check.
- Minimum BEng degree or equivalent in Electrical / Electronic engineering; MEng level qualification preferred.
- Be working towards or hold Chartered Engineer status with a relevant technical body, e.g., the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).