Account Executive – Insurance Broker
£35000.00 - £55000.00
Our client is a national insurance broker whose primary focus is on the rural / household / farm and estate owning (property and liability risks) sectors.
In June 2020 it rationalized two offices at Catterick, closing a brand it had acquired earlier. All business is now conducted under the parent brand, and the successful applicant will have access to the full array of providers to the Group.
A resignation means that the firm needs to service a book of (predominantly) farm based business (ie in simplistic terms tenants rather than landowners), which was conducted largely under the captive brand until last year. The book includes both motor fleet and ancillary farming trades.
With successful precedents well established, the company is interested in hiring a suitable ex-military individual to fill this role. Note:
- Whilst it is certainly useful, no prior Insurance experience is necessary.
- A rural / farming background (ideally in the local area) is highly desirable in terms of building productive relationships with the firm’s clientele: though you will take over a ‘book’ of business that is largely farming oriented, scope exists to expand into the Country Estates / High Net Worth market. A successful candidate will have the resilience, drive and relationship building skills to achieve this, and to take on wider ranging commercial risks in time.
- Within perhaps two years scope may exist to move into the Office Manager role.
- Some insurance broking experience is ideal, but the company is prepared to train a new entrant to the sector assuming he / she possesses the appropriate personal qualities.
- All candidates are expected to have the supervisory and management capabilities.
- In addition to good organisational skills, the company is seeking a well presented and socially adept individual who is a self-starter, prepared to develop business using initiative and is then able to provide authoritative guidance and advice to clients.
- Excellent communication, representational and personal influencing skills.
For an Experienced Candidate:
- A good level of sector knowledge embracing a wide range of commercial products and insurers is expected, combined with experience in obtaining quotes and placing business: in addition a sound knowledge of Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) requirements within a broking role.
- Experienced candidates with a non-military background may be considered.
Our client is a Chartered Insurance Broker and will commit to training the successful candidate. It provides an Apprenticeship training programme to facilitate achieving the full range of CII qualifications, from the Certificate to Diploma and then Chartered status.
To Achieve Annual Sales And Business Retention Targets, As Directed By Directors, And To:
- Complete proposals and obtain other documentation within time set out in new business procedures at the start of each new risk.
- Ensure that new business is placed in advance of expiry of previous cover.
- Issue invoices within the timescales set out in company standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that insurance company surveys are carried out within a reasonable time scale;
- Ensure any agreed risk improvements are carried out by the client within the time allocated.
- Report all new business through the authorised channel.
- To give advice on individual leads and assist in preliminary meetings and presentations for large potential clients where the prospects of success are high.
- Advise and consult with clients as and when any claims arise, liaise with loss adjusters and relevant third parties.
- Knowledge of Word / Excel
- Experience with the OpenGI broking software
- Insurance qualifications
Salary: experience based / individually negotiated, but indicatively from c £35k – c £55k base plus excellent package including £7k car allowance and 25% commission on all new business (roughly benchmarked on base salary – ie £40k new business on a £40k salary - £10k commission) plus possible bonus on top.
Salary negotiable (see indicative levels above) dependent on experience, plus:
- Full time, permanent position. Part time will not be considered.
- Money purchase pension scheme, 5% employer contribution rising to 10% after 5 years.
- Pension scheme includes Life Assurance cover.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
- Car Allowance, insurance and roadside recovery scheme (AA) membership.
- 35 hours / week, 9.00 to 5.00, flexible working options available pending completion of probation.
- 25% commission for all new business introductions, either for those transacted directly by the individual or introduced to other parts of the Group (i.e. financial services).
- Possible entitlement to Discretionary Staff Bonus
Please apply with CV in Word and short covering letter explaining your fit to the role and earliest availability; deadline Fri 20 April. Early application may be advantageous.